Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Grand Finale for the Christmas Gifts

I haven't even updated my other blog because I was so busy knitting over the holidays. And I had a great entertaining menu to share... Well maybe I'll put it up for some summer entertaining. Anywhoooo, here's the last of the Christmas gifts. Some weren't even started until after Christmas morning. I wasn't seeing my step-sister and step-brother until after Christmas day so it worked out okay. Tim got me a new knitting mag that had this quick pattern for a Snood. I used lion's homespun. It knit up quick and was soft and luxurious! So this is for my step-sister.

I did this hat for my step-brother's fiance who I still haven't met. She didn't make it over the night my step-sister and brother came over so I still haven't met her. Mom told me these were her colours. I hope she liked it. The yarn was from Granny Tan's destashing that I got. It's a great yarn!

I did a neck gaiter for my step-brother. It is also from some of Granny Tan's destash. It also turned out quite nice.

I finished the clogs for my mom. I got some cork bottom sandals from Walmart and took off the leather straps. My mom needs more support in her slipper than the bottom of the felted clogs has. She wore them for a day and the cork bottoms stayed glued. I was quite happy. The only concern I have is that the felted slippers seem to stretch so I may have to try re-felting them with the cork bottoms on if they get to big. I'll keep you posted. Don't you just love the fun fur cuff?

I did these for my mom's husband. I ran out of the grey twist and thought I could replicate it well enough for felting with beige and black. As you can see, I failed but Dennis doesn't care and he will always be able to tell which foot is which.

After Dennis fell and broke his collar bone just a couple of weeks ago, I thought he should have solid bottoms on his felted slippers too. I wasn't able to get cork bottoms for his (oddly enough the selection of summer sandals isn't great right before Christmas) so I used a foam flip flop slipper bottom for his. The foam bottom had no give so they wouldn't stayed glued.

I had heard of a way to reduce the slipperiness of the clog by putting puffy paint on the bottom. I wish I had heard of this before I sent a pair to my entire brother's family. As my brother put it, my slippers give the work "slipper" a whole new meaning...

The worse part is, I had a whole bag full of 3-D fabric paint. So I could have easily painted the bottoms of all the slippers before I sent them. I have informed my brother's family of the solution to the slippery bottoms. Here's hoping they take my advice before a lawsuit is issued.

One of the gifts for my mom's husband was given with needles still in it. I am happy to say, the gift is now done. They are what I am calling 'bed socks'. They are knit with Knitpicks Wool of the Andes which is a worsted weight wool. But they are amazingly light. They may fit in a boot but they will be great for wearing in the evening while watching TV or curled up in bed!

Here is the last Christmas item to be finished. A pair of cabled booties for my mom. Everyone else has a pair, so she might as well too. They are also done in Knitpicks Wool of the Andes. Mom will love these. And they are wool which is the best at keep cold tootsies warm. (I'm doing a pair for myself after I finish these!!)

No comments: