Sunday, September 2, 2007

Newfoundland and a Birthday

I went to Newfoundland. (this is actually the Halifax airport, where I had a layover for over 2 hours, and I happily knit in public, so there!)I knit. I knit on the way there, I knit while visiting the relatives, I knit so much I got my aunt knitting again. (insert colourful newfie swearing here as my aunt did) She gave me some mightily fine yarn but it's with my mom, as are the vintage knitting books I got from my grandmother's collection. I'll show them once I get them back into my hot little hands.

I knit 2 pairs of cable booties. The blue pair I finished for my grandmother. See below, except I doubled the number of stitches left for Kitchener stitch, making a nice rounded toe. And then I did a pair in 100% Peruvian wool from knit picks (Wool of the Andes) for my great aunt in asparagus... again - no pic but they turned out really nice.

On the day I was leaving I started the heat wave sock. I love this pattern. Interesting enough without being so much of a challenge that you must remain sober... sober is not going to happen when visiting the relatives.

Then I suddenly realized that it was Emily Juckes first birthday on Sept 5th. I didn't knit the original cardigan I gave her when she was born because I didn't knit at the time. So I felt she was due something. Of course I had this brain snap on Sunday, September 2nd.... Nothing like planning ahead! But I found this deadly cute pattern on Lion's website. And I have a nice 75% cotton, 25% acrylic yarn that drapes like a dream - so I'm off to the races. She will have it this month, I'm committed to that! And it offers room for her to grow. She should be able to wear it this fall and next spring.

I also saw some of the most amazing quilts while in Newfoundland. My great aunt Doreen made the most amazing quilt for her son's wedding. Pointsettas done on a beige fabric that showed the same pattern front and back. And my cousin Helen and her daughter have done some amazing work. I think I was too dumbfounded to properly show my appreciation. I am totally mystified by quilting, all that precise scissoring and all. So I have a huge respect for their work. Amazing. I slept under one my cousin had made and it was one of the best sleeps I ever had, I swear. I wish I had pics - I'm such a slacker.

No comments: