Monday, December 3, 2007

Maybe I should follow a pattern... and some success

I started knitting some fetching fingerless gloves but then thought that if I sent these to a teenage girl living in Newfoundland or Ontario - they'd wear them in the middle of winter and end up with frostbite. Teenage girls tend to be more about fashion then common sense, especially the 2 on my Christmas list. So I thought I would make the fingerless gloves into mittens. No, I have never knit a pair of mittens before but how hard could it be. Just knit up to a point, and do a toe like decrease and Kitchener the tip, pick up for the thumb hole, knit the length of the thumb and Kitchener the end. (I love the Kitchener stitch - did I mention that?)

I had some really nice yarn I had gotten from Granny Tan when she did some de-stashing that I thought would do nicely. It was a worsted weight which is what the pattern calls for but it knit up small. I was worried as I did the cuff but I could still get it on my hand no problem so I knit away.

Yup, it's a sad sorry excuse for a mitt. However, the yarn is quite nice and soft. I will frog this and the yarn will become something else. I need to do a hat and neck gaiter for my nephew...

For my niece (one of the teen girls on my list) I decided to do a lacy hat. She may actually wear it in the middle of winter which is better than nothing. It's not really built for warmth but it's very trendy and like I said, is better than nothing. Granny Tan found this pattern for me http://jenniferhoel.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/lace-and-cables-cap.pdf I think she found it off of Ravelry which I still haven't done anything with... ah, in the new year. I'm thrilled with the hat. It's done in KnitPicks Palette yarn, colour "grass". I wish I had time to do a scarf to match...
Now back to doing felted clogs. They are so gratifying, I get them done quickly and they seem like such a substantial gift!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Love that hat!

Anonymous said...

You're very fortunate to have a Grany Tan...

I love the too. I think I will make one for my daughter who is at that fashion sensible age.

Manon