Monday, March 3, 2008

A sock, a pair of clogs, a purse and a hangnail

I finally finished one Memorial Sock. It's beautiful. I'm in love. I made Tim go "oh, ah" and pet it.
I have enough yarn leftover that it looks like I may be able to make a bootie like pair of socks out of the leftovers. It will give me a chance to try a toe up sock and if I run out of yarn at the top I have other stuff I can add to make a ribbed cuff. It would be great to have a pair of bootie type socks out of this wonderful yarn to slip on when I get chilly tootsies in bed... And it seems that the yarn has not bothered me at all. Of course I'm not allergic to cashmere and alpaca! So I guess that means I have a good reason to only buy luxury yarns. ; )

Can you see the difference between these two clogs?
I finished the pair of felted clogs I was commissioned to do for a friend of a friends better half (got that?). But I ran out of yarn when doing the bottoms. Note to self - buy extra when planning specific projects... Anyway I used a yarn that was close to it but when it felted it seemed to make the differences more noticeable which I didn't think was possible but when it comes to felting Murphy's Law really does rule.
I put puffy fabric paint on the bottom to try and reduce the slipperiness of the slippers. I sent some pictures to the commissioner and she liked them anyway. I liked them just fine but since someone was paying for them I had to make sure they were acceptable. So today they hit the mail. As you can see, you can't tell the difference when they are on. I have got to make myself a pair of these...
Okay so on to the next commissioned project. Felted stripped purse. This is for my Aunt-in-law's sister. I did one for my Aunt-in-law for Christmas but I didn't write down exactly what I did so I am having to wing it on this one. I started it once but it was too wide so I frogged it and started again. I think I have it right this time. It's going to be brown with a beige strip.
I can confirm that all this Briggs and Little wool does not agree with my skin. I have more hangnails than you can shake a stick at. I do wash my hands often and keep hand cream on them but it's just not enough.
You think that looks bad, you should see my scalp. I don't know why it's my scalp that has gotten irritated and dry but luckily the only person who can see that mess is my hairdresser! But it is official. My skin was fine, my hands were soft and supple and my scalp was perfect... and they I picked up the Briggs and Little wool. I'm convinced that the nicer, better processed, cleaner wool doesn't have the same effect but I'm still testing that theory. All I know for sure was that all was fine when I was knitting with the cashmere/alpaca blend. So bring on more of that stuff!! Hahahaha, I'm even a high maintenance knitter... surprise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think your skin problem is due to the wool, I think it's due to the relaxed atmosphere of the dog-animated house.

Sock is really nice, reallllly.

Manon

Tanya said...

I love love love that sock!