Thursday, February 7, 2008

In honour of my Nana

Things had ground to a halt this past week as my Nana passed away. She had been in the hospital for over 6 months and I had been wishing she would go peacefully into the night. Grampie, Mom and I went to see her less than 48 hours before she passed. She was asleep due to being well medicated although she wasn't sleeping peacefully. Her body fought on while her mind left us months ago. It is such a blessing that she is at peace now. I wanted to rejoice at the viewing and funeral as so many told me they were sorry for me loss. I had lost her months ago. I had been mourning her since July. I felt a sense of relief when I woke up the morning after she passed away. Her suffering was over. However, last night, after the funeral it really hit me that she was gone. I'll never see her again. But my Nana had been gone for a while, a couple of years really. Alzheimers is a horrible disease. And it's just not fair.

My Nana was my nana, she took care of me when I was little. She wasn't a relative but she loved me just the same. And she did it because she wanted to, not because she had to. When we pulled away from her house when I was 5 years old to move to the US, I made a promise to myself, to come home some day. And I kept that promise. I also promised her that I would take back my name and become Christian again. My mother marryied a Jewish man so my original name of Christie (note the word "christ" in the name) was changed to Judi. That's why I go by CJ now. If you can't keep your word to yourself than what good is your word to anyone else? Nana loved that I kept my promises.
Needless to say I haven't knit much in the last week. I used to take my knitting into the hospital to knit by her bedside. Nana was too far gone by the time I started knitting to really discuss it with her. She did tell me she loved to turn the heel on socks and I do too. By the time I started knitting just a little over a year ago, Nana could no longer remember how to knit. It caused her a great deal of frustrating. My grandmother can no longer knit either, she can't stay focus. So because of this I say to all of you knitters and crocheters out there, do me a favour, this weekend in honour of our elders, indulge yourself in some knitting or crocheting time. Do it for those who no longer can. Do it for the love of such a time honoured tradition. Do it because some day you may not be able to.

COADIC, Helen Gertrude - 84, Halifax, passed away Saturday, February 2, 2008, in Abbey J. Lane Memorial Building, QEII. Born in Sydney, she was a daughter of the late Joseph and Jessie (Lodge) Hussey. Helen had a love for her church, serving as Sunday School Superintendent and was involved with the Missions Society and the Ladies Guild. She was a founding member of the NDP. Her greatest pride was her role as foster mother to well over 150 babies and children. To this day she is still known as "Nanny." She is survived by her devoted husband of 67 years, Gordon; daughters, Gail Michaud-Stroud, Halifax; and Linda Suelter, Lower Sackville; grandchildren, Doris (Pierre) Michaud and Danielle (Stephan) Michaud; Michele Suelter; great-grandchildren, Melody and Alyson; sisters, Dorothy Legge, Halifax; Phyllis (Joe Kennedy), Sydney; Evelyn (Bronson Dicks), Bridgewater; Jean (John Smith), Gander, N.L.; brother, Everett (Agnes) Hussey, Grimsby, Ont.; many nieces and nephews; extended family, Phyllis MacDonald and Judi Weiss. She was predeceased by brothers, Llewellyn, Gordon and Norman; sisters, Beatrice and Edna. Visitation will take place 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, February 5, in J.A. Snow Funeral Home, 2666 Windsor St., Halifax. A funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday, February 6, in Knox Presbyterian Church. Family flowers only please. Donations may be made to Knox Presbyterian Church or to a charity of your choice. E-mail condolences to:

I will share with you my latest project. The progress on my socks. I love this yarn. Nana would have shook her head at it, such fancy yarn! Forever these will be my Nana socks.

There is one slight problem. Last night after the funeral I was so tired that I kept falling asleep while knitting. I would come to and realize that my eyes hadn't been opened while knitting the last row. I haven't looked to see how badly I screwed it up but luckily after one round I decided it was time to stop. Aren't they beautiful?


Line (pronounced Lynn) said...

Your kind words about your Nana really show how much you cared for her. And yes, I agree that we should all spend some time knitting in rememberance of those who no longer can. I will knit a few rows before going to be this evening, dedicating those rows to those who can no longer and those who will no longer be able to someday.

Anonymous said...

The homage to Nana was so touching that it took me this long to gather my emotion and write a little comment. It's obvious Nana held a special place in your life.

Hope your knitting will be therapeutic both for the soul and the spirit.