Wednesday, February 20, 2008

From here to here with little to show for it.

In the past week I went from this
to this (this is London Heathrow)
Yup, way warmer in Europe. I ended up in Stockholm. My favorite city. It was so mild. It ended up being a nice break from the snow and cold! This is the view I had for years as I traveled to see a client in Stockholm. I can't tell you how many days I waited on this platform for the train back into the central part of the city where I would always stay.
It had been over 2 years since I had been to Stockholm and I was surprised at how little it had changed. Everything was as I remembered. This is Sergel Torg and it's a fountain in the summer.
This is the main shopping street in downtown. Drottingatan. Aren't the lights beautiful. With the long winter nights, the Swedes know how to make it seem so cozy with all the little lights.
I went to Sweden to say my farewells to a wonderful friend and mentor. It was an honour and a privledge to be able to take part in Harry funeral.
I didn't take my camera with me for the funeral but I wish I had. The church was a little old church that was beyond beautiful. The grounds were amazing and Harry is resting in the most beautiful spot. There is an old Swedish tradition where they lower the casket into the ground and all of the funeral attendees proceed by it and toss in a flower to say goodbye. It was beautiful. He will be missed by so many as he was loved by so many. He was truely a great man and I count myself very lucky to have known him.

Needless to say I didn't get much knitting done. But my "nana socks" will now be called my "memorial socks". And every time I put them on I will remember these wonderful people who have been a part of my life.

There is some hope that I might actually get this first sock done sometime in the near future.

After my nana's funeral, when I was so tired I was knitting with my eyes closed... I did make a mistake. I was ribbing where I should have just been knitting. I think it just adds to the socks charm. It's on the back of the leg, just above the heel so it's not really noticable at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems like you got quite a "month of funerals". Hope you can now move on to more positive emotional activities.

Take care
Manon