Thursday, January 25, 2007
The Hunter's Toque
I finished the toque to go with my brother's socks for his birthday. I have about 3 days to do his other sock and I'll still have to send it express for him to get it in time. I got new plastic needles to do the second sock so I hope those work better for me. I found the metal ones really painful to use. I had to knit with a thimble on my left pointer finger so I could push the needle through the knit stitches.
Anyway, here's the finished front side of the hat. It was done on regular needles in a bulky acrylic.
I had a problem sewing it up as per the instructions. And my mom had to tell me to use the matching colour to sew up the matching area so you couldn't see the seam. My first attempt followed the pattern but I just couldn't get it. I like to be shown, not just read how to do it. It was counter-intuitive to me and turned out horrible. The picture does not do it justice.
I had to take it out and try again. I did it as I would sew up a seam if I were sewing fabric. I do know how to sew and this made sense to me. It also worked much better. Now I am pleased with the hat!
Now I must get back to knitting that second sock. I hope it takes me less time then the first one or my brother will go on his fishing trip and come back before he has his warm hunter's socks!