Monday, April 16, 2007

Mom's Birthday - Knitting Tote and Socks

I can finally show my mom's birthday gifts to you. She had her birthday this past Saturday. I made her a Marsupial Tote out of the Stitch and Bitch book but I made it a little longer to hold knitting needles. I call my variation the "One Project Tote Bag" as it will fit one knitting project on the go quite nicely. The colours match a felted purse I made her for christmas. I used Briggs and Little wool and it took a long time to felt. I put it through my aggitation cycle 4 times before this pic was shot.
Once I gave the bag to my mom we talked about the handles. They turned out just like the picture in the Stitch and Bitch book but I don't like the way they curl up. Mom mentioned sewing them up to go with the curling so they would be more like cords. I wasn't happy with the felting of the bag either so I asked her to let me keep it. I sewed up the handles and felted it 3 more times. Now I am happy with it. I also made her socks. I followed the Thula pattern from knitty.com. It said to stop making the foot 2 inches from the length I wanted it to be. But then the knitting of the toes only took 1.5 inches to knit. So I ended up with a sock that fit me perfectly but would have been too small for my mom. So I knit the second one bigger and it fits her perfect. I'm still working on her second sock. I wonder how long it will take me to complete the second one for me.... The yarn is a 75% cotton and 25% acrylic. "Ecofil" it's called. It's made of recycled material. It's a nice warm sock. The pattern is really nice, I love how the heel turns in it. And it would be a good base for me to start making adjustments to change the look of the sock.



1 comment:

Tanya said...

Those socks look awesome! Great job, I bet your mom was happy, even though she couldn't take her presents home yet ;o)

I have the same problem with B&L wool...it will felt but it takes a long time and a lot of hot water.